Thursday, September 13, 2007

The Waiting Game

It has been a painful experience to sit here and bide my time until I leave for Russia. It seems almost like everyone has gotten started and into their daily routine except for those of us who are making the trek. It's a very interesting experience to watch other people go to college.

There has been an incredible exchange going on between two members of the theatre blog world, and I would be remiss not to point anyone who manages to stumble onto this blog over to their blog.

Thomas Loughlin and Scott Walters have been posting very interesting material that is truly worth diving into. I find it especially interesting as I am currently a theatre student myself. To anyone who finds this because I am going to Russia, I recommend spending time here and here, just to read some possible myths of the college theatre world. I think it's very important for us as young artists to enter this debate, as it is as much about our views of the theatre/entertainment world as those who are older and more experienced.

I also hope that those of you out here who read this discuss theatre/entertainment with those people you know who are not engaged in studying the subject. I think that the more we know about the people who are on the receiving end of what we do as professionals the better. I often feel that elitism has killed the theatre world, and that we don't understand enough about what the common man wants when he/she comes to a show nowadays.

Anyways, please read the hyperlinks posted above before you continue reading this blog. Maybe it will help us all at some point down the line.

-Eric


PS: Thanks to another college night

No comments: